Dovetail drawer box made from 5/8" thick pre-finished Rubberwood (solid wood, finger-jointed) hardwood with raw dovetailed joints (apply finish to dovetailed joints on site, if desired, as this is optional) with a 1/4" thick Birch plywood drawer box bottom.
Drawer Box Only (no drawer guides)
This product is shipped UN-ASSEMBLED (5 pieces). Assembly
of this item is very easy and can be done with only a rubber mallet and
some wood glue.
- Incredibly durable 5/8" thick clear finished solid finger-jointed rubberwood sides (dovetailed joints are raw/unfinished wood, only the top edge, face, and back of drawer sides will have a clear finish applied)
- Super strong 1/4" (approximate) thick clear finished BIRCH veneered plywood bottom (grain direction may run either left to right or front to back)
- Dovetailed joint construction (dovetailed joints are raw wood, apply an optional finish of your choosing on site as needed, most will coat with a light oil/wax)
- THIS PRODUCT IS SHIPPED "NOT ASSEMBLED"
- *Unfinished dovetailed joints (no paint or stain will be applied to dovetailed joints)
- 1/2" bottom recess works with Blum under mounted drawer slides (notching
and some modification required)
- Made in USA with global materials
Please be aware that when the box is ordered fully assembled, the joints will be very tight in order to create a seamless box. Since the joints are so snug, you may need to use a rubber mallet or a light hammer to tap the pieces together. Assembly method is the same as shown in our default assembly video below, with the exception of the need to sand the joints (i.e. do not sand, you will scuff the finish on the drawer box sides!).
CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS
Letter from Chad Barker;
We are proud to bring the new Rubberwood (also known as "Hevea", or "Malaysian Oak") drawer box product to market in 2023. Rubberwood is a eco-friendly material and has been sourced in order to replace the existing Baltic Birch Plywood drawer boxes previously for sale on our website. Here are some key features make the Rubberwood drawer box better and more economical.
a. Rubberwood is an "eco-friendly" alternative to other solid wood drawer box materials. Known as a "plantation hardwood", Rubberwood trees are grown for their sap production which ceases as the tree reaches maturity around 25-30 years of age. Large old trees are then removed and replanted with saplings. What's left is a viable, dense, and uniform grain hardwood with minimal knots, that is easy to work with and accepts finishes well. Read more about the raw lumber here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubberwood
b. Rubberwood is a "finger jointed" solid lumber that is glued up with strength and durability as a key priority. Finger joints are stronger than traditional butt joints and allow for a more durable and long lasting solid wood drawer box material. Read more about finger joints here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_joint
c. Our Rubberwood drawer material comes pre-finished with a matte "UV clear finish". This beautiful finish adds the ultimate protection for years of use and minimizes drawer contents from sliding around as drawer box is opened and closed. Simply assemble the box, with joints as flush as possible, then install into your cabinets as needed. The ends of the dovetail joints will be left raw in all instances as you can apply a coat of wax or oil as desired, after install is complete (most customers will leave the joints raw, or coat with olive oil). Read more about UV coating here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_coating